30 Jahre

Information for international academics


Here you will find more information on how to find accomodation in Magdeburg as well as Stendal, depending on how long you are staying.
Find out more


You will generally need a visa to enter Germany. Citizens of EU and EEA countries are not a subject to the visa requirement, nor (in exceptional cases) are citizens of countries with which Germany has agreements to this effect.

Table of countries whose citizens require/ do not require visas to enter Germany

You can apply for the following visas before entering Germany:

National Visa (D Visa)

Schengen Visa (C Visa)

More information about the visa regulations:

Federal Foreign OfficeDAAD website


The German social insurance is divided into five branches:

  • Health insurance (is compulsory)
  • Pension scheme
  • Unemployment insurance
  • Occupational accident insurance
  • Nursing care insurance

Overview of the social insurance system in German

More information about the Health insurance

Further links and information

German Academic Exchange Service


International researchers in Germany


Information on travel, accommodation, social life, emergencies, work and more in Germany


Online German course

Young Germany – studies, career and life in Germany

Young Germany

Deutsche Kultur International – German culture and language, international exchange, science etc.

Deutsche Kultur International




Contact Magdeburg

Julia Krumm

Tel.: +49 (0) 391 886 41 19
E-Mail: julia.krumm@h2.de

Visitors' address: Building 4, Room 2.21

complete staff

Hintergrund Bild